BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Secret of Immortality



“Like mother, like daughter – the nicest compliment there is.”

This tiny little verse is printed on a vinyl plaque that my daughter Jennifer gave me one day years ago. She was not a mother yet and still I can say that as she is like me so too is she like her own daughters. The littlest, Emery Kate, only months old, is sweet, calm, happy, and smiles all the time. She makes everyone around her feel loved because she is so generous with her own love.

But it is when her mother picks her up and holds her close to her heart that she is most content and although we all attempted, on our recent trip, to use the technique to get her to sleep, it was my daughter, her mother that was able to get her to sleep the fastest.

I can remember holding Jennifer in my arms when she was about a year old. We were sitting in the living room of our home in Denver, CO in the wooden rocker my parents gave us when our first born, Brian was born. Jennifer and I rocked and talked and hugged and laughed and I said to no one in particular, “My head says you need to grow up, but my heart wants you to stay just like you are right now, my sweet daughter.”

And then there is Alexandra Anne, also known as Lexi or the Lou Lou as she sometimes calls herself. Tiny, smart, funny, a tornado circling a room, a force to be reckoned with and yes like her mother as well; because she is also kind, sweet, and filled with love for everyone she meets. She meets no stranger and is surrounded by a light of happiness that is very contagious just like her mother.

Like mother, like daughters, my daughter has been given the gift of caring for two precious daughters and with the help of a loving husband she can do all things for her daughters. Honoring this gift she has been given comes easy to my daughter, but then she is like me. I thank God every day for having Jennifer in my life as I know she does the same with Emery Kate and Lexi.

And the lessons of love that I learned as a young mother, my own daughter is learning and one day she will pass them down to her two daughters and so on and so on through eternity for that is the secret of immortality.

0 comments: