BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, September 11, 2009

Love and Peace

I am a little bit clairvoyant in that I can sense things before they happen or I’m able to see things before they occur. It doesn’t happen often and is sporadic to say the least. I inherited it from my father.

When he was a young man, he went home to Beaumont, TX to visit his parents, leaving my mother and new born baby, me, in Gulf Port, MS. It was a necessary trip I was told later in life as my father and his parents had been fighting and he felt it was important to reconcile with them.

He failed. Leaving he was halfway to Mississippi when he had the overwhelming sense of doom and turned around only to find his brother in the driveway telling him their mother had died. My father never forgave himself for leaving mad and not being able to tell his mother he was sorry.

Fortunately, I’ve never experienced such a vision with tragic repercussions. Mine are more whimsical. For example last night the hostess for our book club forgot that two members don’t eat shrimp and that she had intended to buy some chicken for them. I offered to go get some for her and she said the local Mapco (gas station) had the best fried chicken on our mountain so I made the quick trip to the station. As I got out of the car I saw a shiny penny on the ground. I said to myself, “A lucky penny.” And I picked it up. I entered the station to find only two chicken breasts left and no more being cooked.

However there was a day in our country’s history where many people woke and found that if only they had said this, or done that, or kissed their love one goodbye…if only they could know the future.

This morning I woke early to do my devotions and as I lit my candles I began to shake and cry and could not figure out why. And then I opened my book and saw the date 9/11. You would think that after eight years, I would not still be affected by the tragedy of that fateful day. And then I thought to myself, if I am feeling this way and I only witnessed it through television, how are all the many people who were actually there dealing with it?

Then I realized that if my reaction in some way could help relieve the pain in another then so be it. I may not be there in person with those that lost loved ones or were injured themselves, but I can in Spirit share their pain and loss and if that helps then I welcome the opportunity. It is the least I can do.

I firmly believe that it’s important to remember and honor this day but I also believe that it should be so that it in no way gives the people responsible credibility. They win if we continue to give them credit for ruining our lives. Instead we honor the ones that died for our country even if they did so unwillingly by remembering this day with love and peace in our hearts.

0 comments: