BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

It's All About the Climb

Today I had one of the best experiences in my life...I went to the movies with Paige. A four-year-old and a movie don't sound like they would co-exist, but in this case it went very well.

In fact, it went better. She and her mother went to see Hannah Montana, the Movie last week and Paige asked to go again. Today was Dollar Day at the Regal Cinema at Hamilton Place Mall. So I asked Paige if she wanted to go with me some time and she said, "How about today, Mimi?"

When we arrived I was impressed that there were no less than five stations to purchase tickets and I happily gave them my $2. And I was even more impressed when we went to get popcorn and soda at the concession stand. I ordered a small popcorn and coke for Paige, pointing to her and the young girl behind the counter said the kid's package would cost less. And then when the young man dished out the popcorn, she took it and added more.

We were only a few minutes early, however the theater was just about half full, but by the time the movie started, there was standing room only. Ushers were walking up and down the isles with tiny flashlights searching for open seats. Amazing...I have not seen this in years. Children, teenagers, young parents, and other grand parents like me filled the theater.

I don't know what I expected but it certainly wasn't what I got. This movie was unbelievably wonderful. Cheesy and slapstick and done with great taste and timing, but more importantly it told a very loving story. The music was wonderful, the scenes of Tennessee were absolutely magnificent, and the storyline was at times spiritual.

I found myself crying at least four times and laughing out loud many times more. Paige laughed and Paige watched and it was amazing to see her experiencing this adventure. At one point I was reminded of the last movie I saw with my own grandmother, My Fair Lady with Audrey Hepburn. It was a lovely experience and one I will always remember. I should be so lucky to have Paige remember this day.

For those of you who have not see the movie, the story is about a young girl who becomes a famous rock singer, Hannah Montana, but keeps her true identity Mylie Stewart (a.k.a. Mylie Cyrus in real life) a secret to all but one friend. When her grandmother celebrates a birthday back home in Tennessee, Mylie's dad (Billy Ray Cyrus - real dad and dad in the movie) forces her to come home for two weeks.

Once home and over missing out on the lime life as Hannah Montana, Mylie writes two songs that are beautiful, falls in love for the first time, remembers who she is and where she came from, and most of all finds herself without sacrificing her Hannah Montana identity.

Leaving the theater, ushers held doors for us and thanked us for coming. Everyone was smiling and I was overwhelmed with a wonderful feeling of gratitude. Grateful that Paige wanted to go with me, grateful for the opportunity to see such a well-written and performed movie, hear some beautiful music, and most of all grateful to be in a room with hundreds of other people who also shared in this experience with me.

You'll have to see the movie to understand why "It's All About the Climb." Silly, funny, delightful, heart-warming and so much more. Available next week to purchase, it is worth it, if nothing else to lift your spirits and feel the joy of love of friends, family and life in general.

0 comments: