BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, July 24, 2009

Mindfulness

I have come to really appreciate this word - mindfulness. It says, to me, much more than what it means; "Inclined to be aware," according to the dictionary. For me it is a state of being and it takes practice and discipline. But most importantly it takes the courage to listen to God.

The courage is NOT in listening to God; the courage is in responding to the messages we get from God. What does that still small voice inside tell you? For me it is to be mindful to things I see, hear, smell, and experience on a daily basis.

When I was a young girl growing up I talked to God on a regular basis. If I had a problem I would bring it to God, release it and wait for a response. Not an answer, but a feeling that the problem was solved. Sometimes it wasn't the response I expected but I accepted the answer because I asked and God answered. Much fiction has been written using this form of talking to God - George Baily in It's a Wonderful Life and The Bishop's Wife to name a few well-known movies.

People don't usually go around telling other people that they talk to God. Back in its early days the TV show Seventh Heaven told a story of a school janitor who told people that he talked to God (and that God talked to him). It took courage for him to admit it to a crowd of angry school board members and parents. And when the main character who is minister at a local church stood up to defend the janitor he pointed out the injustice in thinking the janitor was crazy while it was okay for him to talk to God because he was in the "God" business. He was successful in delaying the board from firing the janitor only to learn that the police found the janitor in the middle of the night painting the bleachers at the football field. While doing so the bleachers collapsed.

Angry and ready to arrest the man, the police pointed out that if he had not been there that night working on the bleachers then they would have collapsed the next day during the football game and there would have been lots of injuries. The janitor said God told him to go there that night and instead of thinking he was crazy, the school board thanked him and welcomed him back into their open arms.

Being mindful, does mean being receptive to hearing God's messages; but it is so much more. It is hearing those messages in a beautiful poem a dear friend sends me, a touch of my grandbaby's hand on my cheek, a hug from my sweet husband, hearing a song that lifts my spirits, taking a walk at dusk with my granddaughter, seeing my daughter and her family on my computer camera, sharing a good meal with my family, seeing the sun rise between the trees like diamonds sparkling, and so on and so on....

God is everywhere and present and being mindful of this strengthens me and gives me the courage to listen to the still small voice that speaks to me and most importantly to act on what I hear.

0 comments: