BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Send in the Clowns

The grandbaby arrived early, hungry and with a bad cold. He was tired because the cold kept him from sleeping well the night before. Normally the happiest baby offering his Mimi great big smiles, he just looked at us as if to say, "help." My son, hugged and kissed him goodbye and I assured him all would be fine. My daughter-in-law called from work and I assured her that all would be fine.

But as the morning wore on it was clear this little five-month-old was not feeling well and so we walked the house, rocked on the back porch, sang songs, and he tried to drink his bottle. But it hurt too much. And just as I was beginning to feel like I was failing him I got two emails that lifted my spirit and assured me that all would be fine.

The first was from a dear friend who reminded me that what I do for my grandbaby is of immeasurable value. The second was from a fellow writer who epitomizes the definition of "super woman" and yet she complimented me by saying that I was amazing and must have traveled in the circus at some time in my life because I was so good at juggling all the things I do.

Reading these two emails put things in perspective. First I was reminded that one of the biggest challenges I have is applying my spiritual practice into my daily life. So I relaxed and rested in the knowledge that my dear husband has rearranged the work schedule so I can have the luxury of staying at home with my grandchildren. My sons and their wives have given me a wonderful gift, a chance to spend a portion of time with my grandchildren. What a blessing!

As far as traveling in a circus - that is true if only in a spiritual sense. About twenty years ago a friend and I took an all day workshop on clown ministry. At the end of the day we were trained in how to completely transform ourselves into a clown including full make-up. We both agreed to be silent clowns and found a way to introduce ourselves to the congregation at our Presbyterian church. It being Pentecost, we conspired with the minister, and with his approval, and we being ordained elders, presented the bread and wine for communion that Sunday morning - in full clown attire!

The congregation had been given balloons as they entered the sanctuary and the minister invited them to release their balloon during the service when they felt moved or touched by the Spirit of God. And so throughout the service balloons floated up to the ceiling until there was a cloud of color, not unlike a rainbow, covering the sanctuary. And then expecting the line of elders to march in, the people were very surprised to see two clowns come in with boxes wrapped in colorful paper. My friend and I quietly placed the boxes on the altar and turned and ran out of the sanctuary. The sermon was on looking at life from a different perspective.

The whole experience was rewarding, well-accepted and life-changing for me. It wasn't until the end of the day after the church picnic that fellow members knew who the two clowns were. Being a Clown for God, may have seemed irreverent to some, but for us it was as if God was there having as much fun as us - quietly spreading joy and love throughout the day.

Being a good grandmother and juggling my time between all of my responsibilities may seem daunting at times, but I can remember to be like the Clown of God and do so with joy and love and doing so will help me to keep my spiritual practices in my daily life.

0 comments: